There are many ways to celebrate the holidays, whether it’s with family, friends or alone. Therefore, I decided to share some ideas of how to celebrate.
- Secret Santa- If you have a group of friends that want to give each other gifts for the holidays (mostly Christmas in this case) you can make it a little more exciting by not knowing who is giving who gifts. My friends and I did it both this year and last year, and it was so exciting because we didn’t know who got each other.
- Have a party of some sort/ get-together- In our school we usually have a christmas themed school dance towards the end of school in December so that is our form of party to celebrate. It is a great way to gather a lot of your friends and just enjoy.
- Decorate your house- Okay, I have a thing for decorating for any occasion! I have a tradition with my grandpa to plant plants and decorate the pot, then put them a little all over the house. It is a great time to talk with someone and get the holiday spirit.
- Play a family game- My family and relatives always play a game we call “Present Game” and everyone brings a gift for about $30, and nobody knows whats in each wrapping. Then you take turns rolling the dice, and each time you roll a 6 you can steal a gift or take one from the pile in the middle. After one minute, you stop and you get the gift that you have at the time.
- Play bingo with friends/family- The night before Christmas, my family sits on the couch and plays bingo and eats sandwiches. It doesn’t seem like much, but just creating a tradition to spend time with your loved ones means a lot.
- Go present shopping- I usually go shopping with Lina for christmas, but sometimes I go alone. It is so nice to really do something for others, it doesn’t need to be bought. Just giving to others is what makes me happy.
- Watch Christmas or Hanukkah movies, anything you find to be holiday like- Just watch anything that really puts you in a holiday spirit. Some of my favorite Christmas movies are Elf, Love Actually, How The Grinch Stole Christmas, and Rudolph The Red nosed Reindeer. However, my friend, Jack, played a part in the Christmas and Hanukkah movie called “Switchmas” but also known as “Ira Finkelstein’s Christmas” so I definitely recommend that movie as well.
- Just enjoy the holidays by relaxing!